Root canal therapy or endodontic therapy is a dental treatment performed to remove an infection inside your teeth. This treatment also protects your tooth from severe infections in the future. Root canal therapy is carried out in the root canal cavity of your tooth, which involves removing the infected pulp.
Why is Root Canal Therapy Performed?
The pulp of your tooth may get infected due to several causes. The infection doesn’t go away and makes the situation worse by decaying other teeth as well. Root canal therapy is essential to save you from losing your entire tooth.
Some of the signs and symptoms that suggest you may need root canal therapy are bad breath, foul taste in your mouth, swollen gums, sensitivity in the tooth, throbbing pain around your tooth, etc. We advise you to visit our dentists if you experience one or all the symptoms to coin out the problem at the earliest.
What are the Benefits of Root Canal Therapy?
- Root canal therapy saves you from tooth extractions and helps you get rid of the severe pain you may suffer because of the infected tooth pulp.
- Root canal treatment reduces the infection rate in your mouth.
- The procedure is efficient and cost-effective.
What is the Procedure of Root Canal Therapy?
- Our dentist will take your medical history to know about any health complications that you may or may not be suffering from. After this, they will administer an anesthetic to make you feel completely relaxed.
- We will make a small hole into your tooth to remove the pulp that is infected. With the use of special tools, we will remove the pulp, clean the infection, and disinfect the area.
- The next step is to cover your tooth using a crown or a filling to keep the infected area from getting reinfected. Hence, you must maintain good aftercare involving brushing and flossing your teeth every day.
What Happens After Root Canal Therapy?
After your root canal therapy, your tooth may feel sensitive for a few hours. It happens because of the surrounding tissue inflammation. Our dentists recommend you follow the below-listed aftercare suggestions as a part of the root canal therapy:
- Do not chew with the same tooth after your treatment. Eat soft food items such as mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, porridge on the day of the procedure.
- Brush, floss, and use a mouthwash regularly.
- You may take a painkiller on the recommendation of our dentists.
- Be gentle with brushing and flossing your teeth for the first few days after the treatment.
- Make sure you visit our dentists from time to time for regular check-ups and follow-up of the treatment.
Please reach out to our dental practice in Henderson, NV, to have a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Christensen. Please call us at (702) 331-2121 or schedule an online consultation, and we'll guide you further.